Monday, August 9, 2010

Johannes Brahms - Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, Op. 68


Charles Munch / Orchestra de Paris
1987


Brahms took around 21 years to complete this piece, and all that hard work was not in vain. This fantastic symphony reminds me a lot of Camille Saint-Saëns beloved "Organ" Symphony (which was, ironically, dedicated to Franz Liszt) but with even more power and triumph, if you can imagine. Some have considered Brahm's first masterwork as "Beethoven's Tenth" - it is either that similar to Beethoven's work, or it is that majestic to move people to honor the score with such praise. Whatever the case may be, this very well may be my FAVORITE Brahms' symphony (with 5 a close second), and Charles Munch does a nice job keeping the orchestra up to speed.

Download.



EDIT (30.11.11): I don't actually know anything about orchestras but it just seems to me that this recording is nice. I'm not crazy about arguing over things like that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts