Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sergei Rachmaninoff - The 4 Piano Concertos



Stephen Hough, piano
Andrew Litton & the Dallas Symphony Orchestra


This is a fairly nice recording of the concertos, although I often sense that the strings overpower Hough's under-par piano playing. Abbey Simon's recording with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra / Leonard Slatkin is still my immediate go-to for these majestic works for piano & orchestra, and it most likely always will be.

I'm posting this because I know someone out there will enjoy Hough's interpretation(s), I'm sure. I would like to see Hough try to play what was written for at least a few consecutive measures without adding unnecessary personal touches more often. That would probably make for a nicer, more accurate recording... but I don't want to be rude, for he did a pretty nice job, and this isn't completely garbage, so I will end here.

Download.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts